Mouth guards are extremely important for keeping your smile safe in situations where dental damage can easily arise. This includes high-risk activities and sports in which dental trauma is a likely factor. To keep your smile safe, visit your dentist for mouth guard treatment options.
Common types of mouth guards include the following:
Boil-and-Bite Mouth Guards: Boil-and-bite mouth guards are designed to contour to your dental impression, as they are created by biting into them when they are warm to form a mold for your dental profile.
Stock Mouth Guards: Stock mouth guards are preformed and ready to wear. However, they are not fitted and tailored to your exact dental profile and can lead to difficulties breathing and issues fitting correctly.
Customized Mouth Guards: Customized mouth guards are designed by your dentist with comfort and safety in mind. They are specifically contoured to your dental impression and will fit snuggly to accommodate your exact dental profile.
Speak with your dentist to determine which form of mouth guard is best for you. Furthermore, it is important to always care for your mouth guards to ensure they can always function effectively. Listed below are a few tips regarding mouth guard care:
– Replace your mouth guards as needed, especially if they show signs of wear or tear, if they no longer fit correctly, or if they are damaged. Typically, children and teens need to replace their mouth guards more often as their mouths are constantly growing.
– Store your mouth guards in a dry area free of moisture which can contribute to bacterial buildup.
– Clean your mouth guards with cool, soapy water and rinse them thoroughly.
– Always make sure your mouth guards remain clean and dry and rinse them as needed.
– Never leave your mouth guards in the sun or in hot water.
– Mouth guards can also be used to help protect braces.
If you would like an oral exam for mouth guard treatment with Dr. Derek M. Lichter and the rest of our team here at Derek M. Lichter, DDS, Inc., please set an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Chula Vista, California. We can be reached at 619.591.8945.