As pumpkin season begins to hit full swing, it is important to not forget your oral health needs. Nine months of hard work on your teeth, can be easily eradicated in the space of a few awful weeks, if you don’t continue to take care of your mouth. Here are a few tips for caring for your teeth this season, and beyond:
– Dispose of any extra candy lying around after the holiday, as you may find yourself eating it for weeks afterward.
– Be sure to remember that the longer candy is in contact with your teeth, the longer tooth decay can occur. As always, be sure to brush and floss.
– If you have children, swap out their candy for toys they may have been interested in, as a way for them to enjoy the joys of trick-or-treating, but also to stop them from eating buckets of candy afterward. You could also offer a buyback program to the child, and offer the child money, or incentives, in exchange for their candy.
– Visit your dentist for an oral exam and professional cleaning.
– Try to indulge in healthy treats. Your sweet tooth need not be limited only to sugary snacks this season.
– Avoid hard candy, which can chip teeth, and is difficult to brush away, or sticky candy, which can stick to the teeth’s enamel, and speed up the rate of tooth decay.
From all the cavity crusaders at Derek M. Lichter, DDS, Inc., we wish you all a safe and happy Halloween!
If you would like to book an appointment, please call us at 619.591.8945, or stop by our office in Chula Vista, California.