Eat healthy so that you can smile healthy. Having a healthy diet will not only affect your waistline but can also play a big role on the health of your gum line as well. Due to the fact that tooth decay and gum disease could be the result of what you eat, take the time to look at your own diet and make the changes to save your smile and redesign it into one that is healthy and happy. Listed below are a few excellent dietary options to improve your nutrition and your oral health:
– Look for foods with high water content that are crunchy, such as pears and apples, as they are amazing options for washing away food residue and harmful acids and increasing saliva production.
– Saliva can neutralize acids in your mouth, so try introducing saliva-producing foods to your diet, including chewing sugarless gum, which has been proven to increase saliva production and aid in the prevention of cavities after meals.
– A variety of ingredients in foods can remineralize our teeth for healthier and stronger tooth enamel, including minerals such as calcium and phosphorous which are often found in foods such as chicken, cheese, nuts, and milk.
– Avoid simple sugars and carbohydrates, as plaque buildup and bacteria in our mouths can convert these substances into harmful acids that can eat through tooth enamel.
– Avoid consuming foods in between meals, including during times of snacking or as standalone treats.
If you think your teeth could use a little extra work and would like to have a professional exam from our team at Derek M. Lichter, DDS, Inc., simply book an appointment at our dentist office in Chula Vista, California, by calling us at 619.591.8945. Dr. Derek M. Lichter and the rest of our team would be glad to take care of any oral health care needs you may have.