An oral emergency refers to dangers and hazards that can occur at any time to your smile and leave your oral health in potential disrepair. If you should ever suffer from an oral emergency, it is important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to ensure the best chance of success. Caring for your smile after an oral emergency often includes the following tips:
– If you bite your tongue, lip, or cheek, try using gauze pads until the bleeding ceases. For deep wounds, it is in your best interest that you visit your doctor for stitches.
– If a tooth is banged loose or cracked, clear away any debris and wash the wound out. Cover the area with a gauze pad until the bleeding ceases.
– If you have lost a dental crown, cover the injured area with a cotton swab coated in clove oil until treatment from your dentist is to be given.
– If a tooth is knocked out, it may be saved if you set it aside in a tooth-saving liquid such as milk. Visit your dentist as soon as you can to see if it may be possible to lock it back into your mouth.
– If you have lost a dental filling, cover the injured area with a piece of chewing gum, cotton swab, or dental cement until treatment from your dentist is to be given.
– Use interdental tools such as water flossers or dental floss on objects stuck in your mouth. Never use sharp or blunt objects to attempt to dislodge the object loose.
To learn more about which service you would prefer for treating your oral emergencies, contact Derek M. Lichter, DDS, Inc. at 619.591.8945. Come visit Dr. Derek M. Lichter and our team at our dentist office in Chula Vista, California by booking an appointment at your earliest convenience. We will get you back to smiling once more!