Posted .

When a tooth is fractured, the damage to the tooth enamel can vary in severity. If multiple surfaces of the tooth have been compromised or a significant amount of tooth enamel has been lost, there might not be enough healthy dental structure remaining to repair the tooth with a dental filling.

In a case like this Dr. Derek M. Lichter might recommend replacing whatever remains of the tooth’s enamel layer with a dental crown. If the internal structures of the tooth have also been compromised he might also need to perform a root canal to extract and replaced the compromised tissues.

After the tooth enamel has been removed Dr. Derek M. Lichter will then create an impression of the area, which will be sent to a dental lab where your dental crown will be created. The specific material used might vary depending on the tooth’s location in your mouth. Most dental crowns are made from either gold, base metals, or a dental porcelain material.

You will need to return to Dr. Derek M. Lichter’s clinic when your dental crown is ready to have it cemented into place. This will restore the tooth’s function in your mouth for many years to come.

If you live in the Chula Vista, California, area and you have chipped or fractured a tooth, you should call 619.591.8945 to have it examined and treated by the dental specialists at Derek M. Lichter, DDS, Inc..